Monday, January 16, 2012

BLACK BEAN PUMPKIN CHILI.
This has quickly become my favorite chili - Move over Texas Chili, move over white bean chile.  And I am sure some of you are thinking - Pumpkin?  In chili?  Okay, I admit I thought this was a bit weird too until I tasted it.
And while I use a base recipe I found online I've added a few things I really like to make it my own recipe.  I'm going to give you the Vegetarian version - For those who want meat (and I usually do because for some reason I think Chili has to have meat) add white meat chicken or turkey.
1 Onion diced, sautee in Olive Oil
3 cloves of garlic minced and added to onions.
Add Vegetable broth (or water, or chicken broth) about 4 C 
2 C. Pumpkin puree(you could also use butternut squash or sweet potatoe.
2 Cans of Black beans or about 3 C. Cooked black beans.
2-3 potatoes diced (I like yukon golds)
2 zucchinis and 1 yellow squash cut in bite sized chunks.
1 Can fire roasted diced tomatoes (I use Muir Glen Organic)
1 C. frozen corn (I do not add because of a family member who doesn't eat corn due to allergy)
2 tsp salt (or to taste)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika
2 TBSP chipotle puree (I take a can of chipotle in adobo and puree it and then add what I need - freeze the rest for later use - trust me you'll make this again!!!!) 
Simmer slowly for about and hour or so and top with some sour cream if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment