Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Harvests coming in - yummy food being made.

Ah tomatoes being harvested, and basil, onions - This time of year makes me very hungry for home made crockpot tomato soup.
I start with about 5 lbs (or more)of ripe roma tomatoes (although, I've thrown in just about any tomatoes that are handy!) some garlic (I like lots - 5 big cloves minced) and onion or two diced (all the better if they are homegrown and some basil. I peel and seed the tomatoes and chop them up and add them to the onion, garlic, basil, and some EVOO
and then add about 10 good stalks of celery chopped up. I let this just cook on low in the crockpot. I add seasonings to taste:salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar, oregano, thyme and then either can or eat it. (it's amazing how much of this doesn't get canned.) YOU can adjust this for less though a crock pot might be overkill if you don't have a ton of romas!
When I see the romas ripen, my mouth starts to water and my stomach starts to growl for some good homemade tomato soup. Worth the work!
Pantry Items: EVOO and Balsamic Vinegar (we like Trader Joe's the best)

No comments:

Post a Comment