Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Vegetarian Delight! Wheat Free/Corn Free

Sometimes, the creative juices are flowing and a meal comes together that just makes your tastebuds sing! I'd love to take the credit for all these, but alas, I cannot. But here is a yummy, meat free, wheat free, corn free dinner that is filling and tastes delish! First off - if you haven't yet tried Lundberg Farm Rice couscous - you really should. One of the things I miss most about going gluten free is couscous cucumber salad (my kids miss it too) so when Lundberg came out with this couscous made of brown rice - I had to try it! KUDOS!
I cooked it according to package directions, let it cool and then added chunks of cucumber, feta cheese a little olive oil and lemon - YUM!
Next up - the soup - again I cannot take credit for this but who cares, it's still probably the best part of the meal. It is Sweet Potato soup with cranberry garnish. MMMMMMM Good. You take about 5 good sized swee potatoes, 2 carrots and roast them in the oven with some olive oil. In the meantime saute some onions in some EVOO (extra virgin olive oil.) Add the roasted veggies when they are soft cooked and add some vegetable broth (if you aren't vegetarian, add some chicken broth - it works too! ) We used Pacific Naturals Organic Broth. Puree the whole lot into a smooth creamy blend, add (to taste) cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, pepper and salt and then blend up some cranberry sauce and add to the soup when served. Delightful!
Lastly - stuff acorn squash. This was my own creation and really not bad at all (hubby LOVED it!) I took 3 scrubbed acorn squash, cut them in half and scooped out the goop. I roasted them in the oven for a little while - until soft (add some water to the pan and butter in the cavity to keep them moist. Then I made Quinoa (KEEN Wa), roasted some pecans and sauteed some carrots, celery, and onion. Mixed it all together and stuffed the roasted squash and then topped with some feather grated parmesan. IF you are lactose intolerant or allergic to dairy then leave off the cheese - it's all good!

No comments:

Post a Comment